EEDC Staff Dies After Electrocution in Enugu Maintenance Work
An electricity distribution worker has died after suffering an electric shock while carrying out maintenance work in Enugu State.
The incident involved an operations staff member of MainPower Electricity Distribution Limited (MEDL).
It occurred at about 1pm on Thursday, August 13, 2026, in Eke, Udi Local Government Area of the state.
The company identified the deceased as Mr Samson Okechi.
Okechi served as Team Lead, Abor, under MEDL’s 9th Mile District.
According to the company, Okechi was working on a 50kVA/11kV pole-mounted distribution substation when he suffered the fatal electric shock.
Workers immediately took him to Our Saviour Hospital in Ngwo for medical attention.
However, the doctor on duty later pronounced him dead.
The company subsequently deposited his remains at a mortuary.
MEDL also reported the incident at the Ngwo Police Station for documentation and other statutory procedures.
Company dismisses sabotage claims
The company has also rejected reports circulating on social media that someone murdered Okechi or that sabotage caused his death.
Emeka Ezeh, MEDL’s Head of Communications, described the reports as baseless.
“I wonder why some people take pleasure in conjuring unfounded narratives and circulating them, thereby creating unnecessary tension and bad blood. This is so unfair,” Ezeh said.
He urged the public to disregard the claims.
Ezeh also provided details about the electrical safety procedure before the maintenance work began.
According to him, Okechi had requested a Station Guarantee (SG) for the Okwe 11kV Feeder earlier that day.
The company granted the request at about 11:06am at the 9th Mile Injection Substation.
Officials then opened and tagged the feeder before the maintenance operation started.
The company described Okechi’s death as a major shock to his colleagues.
“This is a very unfortunate development and a big shock to all of us, his colleagues. Our hearts go out to his immediate family as they grieve,” Ezeh said.
MEDL has now launched a comprehensive investigation into the accident.
The company said the investigation will examine the immediate, underlying and root causes of the incident.
Ezeh said MEDL will use the findings to identify possible gaps and introduce corrective measures.
The company also plans to strengthen its safety procedures and operational controls to help prevent similar incidents in the future.
Share Your Thoughts Below.